First post & York Museum Gardens

If reading about someone who's writing about a hopefully important realisation is going to make you cringe really hard, then I suggest that you do not continue reading...
However, if you kindly do so, please stay until the end.

I'm not a writer, and the furthest my ability as a photographer goes includes a camera roll filled with  iPhone 5s quality photos of moments and views I want to remember. So, although I am none of the above, what I am is someone who has realised that at the age of 19 I have reached the peak of hypocrisy, and the truth is anyone reading this probably has too.

When interacting in a long enough conversation with a person, whether they are a friend, an actual adult or even a drunk bus stop stranger, there has been a point where they have in some form spoken about what they are passionate about. What particularly stands out is that there are two clear categories of these people; The first being those who act upon and actively share what they deem as important - whether that is a particular view, a talent, an idea that they have or a game they play (literally anything) and 2) Those who are so afraid of the judgement of other people, that all these ideas they have they just leave to rest at the back of their mind waiting for an opportunity to share these with someone who cares enough to listen.

The reality is that the older I get a larger fraction of the people I meet fit into the second category. In the past year(ish) I have had countless conversations which have ended in feeling slight frustration that there are so many people who think this way. People who have openly admitted to being quiet or unconfident in their ideas or potential projects that have been so interesting to hear about, that blocks them from pursuing what they actually want to do and express. This is when I realised the error in trying to convince people out of thinking this way. Why should I expect anyone to listen, if I too am unable to take on board the same advice?

 Now cue the purpose of this blogpost.

 Writing a blog was the first thing that came in to my mind as something that I feared doing, which is why I needed to do it. I collected a mental note of reasons not to but really the worse that could happen is either people won't care or people might laugh at it, which is cool because I am not a life guru.

 So, in response, if that was really the only barrier in between writing this in my notes and writing it online, then there was no point questioning myself any further.

 Therefore, long story short, I've kind of had enough of only using the internet for communication and so I've decided that I want to use it as a platform for creativity too because this is what I feel passionate about. Whenever I see people post things that they've been working on I always find them super interesting and exciting to look through, so for anyone else who's like that too I want to start posting some things I paint/draw in my spare time just to give them a bit more purpose than sitting in my computer/drawer (hence the name of this blog area thing is scrapblogging, because most of the work is not too serious).

Here's a digital illustration I created a while ago (using bamboo app) of the York museum gardens, which is a super pretty place and some photos of the gardens I used as inspiration.  Enjoy :) xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour block buildings and the importance of simplicity

Perspectives and Tenerife biro drawings